The City Hall of Hermoupolis on Miaouli Square is the city’s crown jewel and it’s no coincidence that it has been listed as a “masterpiece” by ministerial decree. This magnificent building has three floors on the side overlooking the square and two floors in the rear due to the ground’s incline. It was built in 1876 under the supervision of architect Ernst Ziller and its design draws architecturally on three different styles: Tuscan, Ionic, and Corinthian.
The building’s outstanding features include a princely staircase 15.5 meters high; two wings with five vertical window axes right and left; overhangs; towers; a marble pediment; portraits of former Syros mayors; and more.
Despite the financial difficulties involved, the project of its restoration was completed under Mayor D. Vafiadakis, while further restoration and interior décor works were carried out subsequently. Other considerations aside, its historical importance is highlighted by the fact that it is an integral part of Miaouli Square and of all the important events of Syros’ history which were marked by the people gathering there to express their reactions. Today, the City Hall houses the offices of the Municipality of Hermoupolis, Courts, and other government services.