The Municipal Library of Hermoupolis is housed on the ground floor of the Cultural Center, a lovely 19th-century neoclassical building (1863-1865).
Official citations of the library can be traced back to as early as 1926. In its infancy, the library comprised a book core of about 2,000 volumes from the Gymnasium High School Library collections (1835), and, what is more, from the library of Iakovos Rotas (a close friend of Adamantios Korais), of Anthimos Komninos, Bishop of Cyclades (1842) and libraries of other eminent personalities. Rare editions such as “Argonautica” by Apollonius of Rhodes (1521), “Onomasticon” by Julius Pollux (1608 edition), “Ioustinianai” by Prince Rodokanakis (a rare Syros edition) etc., are all preserved in specially designed facilities on the library premises.
The Library makes an approximate 45,000 volumes available to its readership. Its lending department is regularly updated with new editions.
+30 22810 88089