The High School of Syros is not just another historical building: it’s the embodiment of a vision for education of a higher standard during the times the Modern Greek State was still in its infancy. It was the Greek Nation’s very first high school and opened its doors to students in 1833 on the premises of the Hildner Elementary School. In 1834, it moved into its own building complex (one of the two buildings was designed by Bavarian architect Erlacher). The dream of establishing a high school came true thanks to funding that came from the Syros people themselves and the concerted organizing efforts exerted by Neophytos Vamvas and Georgios Serouios. The high school’s students who went on to distinguish themselves include: Eleftherios Venizelos, Andreas Syggros, Manos Eleftheriou, Giannoulis Halepas, Kostas Beis, and Konstantinos Volanakis. Today, the historical high school houses one of the main buildings of the University of the Aegean Campus.